5 Crazy Facts About The Human Body You Didn’t Know

The human body is a remarkable creation. We’re the most complex multi-cellular organism walking on this planet today. From its unique skeletal structural design to how our cells can regenerate based on cell nourishment, our bodies are constantly adapting.

That said, we still haven’t cracked just how incredible the human body is or even what it is capable of doing. Through evolution, one-day, humans might develop increased night vision if the planet somehow lost the ability to power a simple light bulb.

Since we’re so fantastic at adapting, it’ll be exciting to see just how biology will work differently in the upcoming years. For now, let’s take a look at some epic features that come with being a human.

1. Our Teeth Are As Strong As A Shark's.

Sharks are some of the largest elasmobranch fish ever to have swum in the world’s oceans. Sharks can weigh up to several thousand pounds and swim in a short burst upward of 35 mph. 

This can sound intimidating compared to Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps, who can reach a max speed of 8.8 mph wearing a monofin. 

Although humans and sharks are vastly different in nearly every category, one rare aspect links us together — our teeth. 

Hard to believe? It’s true! 

Both humans and sharks have similar surface enamel making them nearly equal in strength. Crazy, right? We both tear into food almost in the same manner, but they have us beat by the number of teeth occupying their oral cavity — some have hundreds.

Human body
Haters will say this image is photoshopped. (drjenkinsdentist.com)

2. Humans Have 3 Eyelids

When we enter into a dusty area, our two eyelids, the upper and lower, will blink to protect our cornea, iris sclera, and all the other sensitive parts. But what if we told you that a third lid exists and that you’ve probably seen it every time you’ve looked into the mirror?

Like reptiles, birds, and other amphibians, humans have a third eyelid sitting in the inner corner of their eye.

It’s true.

The remnant of our third eyelid is called “plica semilunaris,” but humans don’t use this layer.

In reptiles, the eyelid slides across the eye as an additional layer of protection. So, next time you look into the mirror, see if you can recognize your plica semilunaris without poking your eye.

Human Body

3. The Human Eye Consists Of Over 500 Megapixels

The human retina consists of around five million cone receptors that are responsible for delivering vivid colors to the occipital lobe of the brain to detect. 

That’s a lot of colors. 

To add to that epic factor, our eyes contain 576 megapixels that provide us with some outstanding informational images. So, the next time you buy an upgraded phone with a high pixelated camera, remember, your natural eyes are better. 

4. Our Bodies Contain Atoms A Billion Years Old

If you’re body already feels old and it cracks and pops just by doing an average amount of daily movement, we apologize for what we’re about to tell you. Although you might be in your teens, 20s, 30s, or older, we want you to know you have atoms floating around your body that are aged billions of years.

Hard to believe? 

99 percent of your body is made of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and other elements. Hidden in the rest of that 1 percent window is a component that is literally out of this world — stardust.

"It is totally 100% true: nearly all the elements in the human body were made in a star and many have come through several supernovas."

Planetary scientist and stardust expert Dr Ashley King

Approximately 13.8 billion years ago, the universe began when scientists believe the “Big Bang” occurred. The first stars were created after the galactic explosion nearly 50 times larger than the size of our Sun.

When stars die, they lose their mass. All the elements created inside the star are swept out into the vast areas of space. As this cosmic stardust travels throughout our galaxy, it can end up landing here on the earth’s surface and reside in our bodies as we consume local vegetation.

Feel old yet? 

5. We Have Over 60,000 Miles Of Blood Vessels

Our human body relies on a series of channels that provide our organs, skins, and other surrounding tissues with blood called “vessels.” Since our bodies need a constant blood supply, we’re comprised of several thousand miles of blood vessels to feed our connective tissues with oxygen.

If you strung all of our arteries, veins, and capillaries together, you would have a channel consisting of over 60,000 miles. That’s enough to wrap around the earth twice. Sources say it’s closer to 100,000 for adults.

Leave your Comment

Close Bitnami banner
Bitnami